We’re seeking an outgoing, talented, and hardworking verbal communicator and writer to be Platinum PR’s new Public Relations Specialist.
Platinum PR is a boutique marketing and PR agency started in 2002 by CEO Sandy Dubay. Platinum PR serves economic development and tourism agencies across the mid-Atlantic region with marketing and communications initiatives.
This position offers you the opportunity to work as an integral part of a small, passionate, creative team.
As our Public Relations Specialist, you’ll be helping us tell our clients’ stories by securing media coverage.
You’ll research media contacts, send emails and make cold calls to the media. You’ll pitch story ideas, follow up, and build ongoing relationships with them. You’ll also be writing content including but not limited to: press releases, blogs, marketing copy, ads, newsletters, websites, and brochures.
You’ll work collaboratively within a small team where your creative brainstorming and ideas are encouraged.
The ideal candidate enjoys all forms of media — from traditional newspapers to social media to the latest podcast — and would love to help tell the stories of the places we work with.
If you’re outgoing, great at connecting with people, and would love to tell the stories of interesting places around the country, this position could be the perfect opportunity for you.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Oversee Platinum PR media pitching efforts
- Pitch multiple story ideas for our different clients.
- Make cold calls to the media (must warmly engage them and create connection).
- Research, write, edit, distribute, and follow up with press releases.
- Write newsletters and blogs for our various clients.
- Write marketing copy to be used on the web, social media, print ads, radio ads, etc.
- Work collaboratively with clients, colleagues, and fellow team members to reach communication goals.
- Assist with in-person and virtual client events.
- You have strong verbal communication skills. You’re comfortable talking to strangers, building relationships, and making cold calls.
- Must have powerful writing and editing skills.
- You’re comfortable wearing the creative hat — thinking as big and wildly as possible. At the same time, you’re able to reign it in and work within the structure, deadlines, and specific client requirements.
- You’re a self-starter, self-motivated, and you’re able to stay organized and see the big picture of what needs to be done as well as the small details.
- You can work independently, ask for help when needed, and know when to raise a red flag if needed.
- You’re an active learner, and you can take feedback well (seeing it as an opportunity to learn and grow).
You are skilled in the following programs:
- MS Office – Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Social Media – Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Instagram, etc.
You are skilled in or have the aptitude for learning the following:
- MailChimp or ConstantContact Email Marketing Systems
- Cision or other media relations tools
- Media relations experience (phone and email pitching)
- Understanding of Economic Development and Tourism-based communications
People of all gender identities and members of all racial and ethnic groups are encouraged to apply.
We welcome both experienced candidates and active learners who are passionate about working hard and growing.
- Once Full-Time, the hours will be Monday-Thursday, 8-5 pm; Friday 8-3 pm.
- Evening or weekend work will occasionally be required and will be scheduled in advance.
Negotiable – based on experience. With regular performance reviews and opportunities for advancement.
A health insurance and retirement plan will be available after a 90-day review period. Vacation and holiday pay are also available after an initial performance review.